math and a half

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Let's clarify: I'm Irish-American.


This time of year, especially in my beloved Chicago, it's fashionable to be Irish. Tracing my own bloodlines, all roads lead directly to the Emerald Isle. However, I don't claim to be Irish. I'm Irish-American. I've never been to Ireland, but I hope to go someday. Soon.
Those lucky ones who made it out of Ireland, back in the potato famine times or more recently, were those willing to take risks, be bold. Therefore, my own sociological reasoning leads me to the conclusion that Irish-Americans are so much bolder, louder and more obnoxious than our roots. My parents have been to Ireland, and they say the Irish pubs are not raucous houses of debauchery. Patrons sit quietly and enjoy live music and talk only between numbers. They clap calmly to appreciate the musical talents of the performers.
Americans love to hang out in pubs, but the music is merely something to shout over. They may or may not pay any attention to dancers, singers or musicians. It's rude, but it's accepted behavior. Too bad.
Blessings to all in this time of St. Patrick. Could we possibly be a little more responsible and a little less drunk to celebrate this peaceful people's heritage?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home