math and a half

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I hate Toys 'R' Us


It's been a long-standing hatred. In fact, I think it may be genetic. My mother despises Toys 'R' Us, too. Her story is funnier, so I'll tell that.

My mom is 12 years older than her sister, who had Bridget at age 40 (I think). So, mom is an older aunt, very out-of-touch with the hot toys of the day. Bridget was turning three and wanted a Barney doll.

Mom went to Toys 'R' Us quite unwillingly. She begged her sister to suggest another gift, perhaps clothing or college tuition for Bridget. Anything but Toys 'R' Us. Mom lost.

So, she was on a mad dash, trying to locate a Barney doll and get the Sam Heck out of that store. Unfortunately, mom's kids were young in another era. She was searching the aisles for the doll that would be a companion to Fred Flintstone. (Ha!)

Having no luck, she flagged down an employee who seemed more interested in popping the zits on his face than helping her find the item she needed. Desperately, she relayed her need for a Barney doll. The kid took her to aisle 9 where they usually stocked purple dinosaur Barney dolls. No stock today, lady. But, he explained that if Bridget liked Barney, she'd probably also like a doll they did have in stock, Baby Bop.

My mom called the young man several nasty names under her breath and stormed out of the store. On her way out, though, she caught a glimpse of a Barney video cover, with a photo of Barney and Baby Bop together. Boy did she feel, uh, foolish.

My trip to Toys 'R' Us today wasn't quite that bad, but I did need help from an employee who wasn't much interested in the notion. Then, as I paid for my nephew's gift, a man came up to the counter equally as perplexed and confused as my mom had been on the infamous no-Barney trip. Poor guy.

1 Comments:

  • I have worked at toys r us for five years and almost every customers is a complete b***h. Impatient, angry with their life and their spoiled children. I hate them. Two more years of college and I will jump with joy. I hate toys r us.

    By Blogger jess, at 5/05/2008 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home