math and a half

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Keep 'em coming!

I need more cheers! I went to what I THOUGHT would be a job fair today. The card announcing the event said 11am-4pm. Would you believe that whoever organized the event was deliberately sabotaging those who dropped off resumes before 1 pm? Those resumes were thrown in the garbage. Seems counterproductive for a Job Fair. Am I wrong?
I am a prompt person. I arrived on time. The parking lots were full to overflowing. The organizers shooed us into the stadium to listen to the speaker, a well-known author. He's great, but 1) I've heard him speak before. I own at least one of his books, which I had to read for a class. 2) We're all here to get a job or fill open positions. I don't need a speaker! I need a job!
Please. If you're organizing and advertising an event, be honest about when it will start and end. Don't waste people's time.

2 Comments:

  • Why did they throw the resumes away? Seems like the promt people are the ones you would want to hire...

    By Blogger MamaChristy, at 6/22/2006 8:11 PM  

  • Some bigwig at (unnamed) public school district wanted to show how much power he/she had. The principal who told me she'd seen resume boxes emptied into the trash said she was upset, too, that she had to wait around when there were candidates there to interview. So riddle me this, is the job fair for the candidates, principals, or someone else entirely? If the candidates and principals are unhappy about how the job fair is run, why have job fairs? Is there any reason to think future job fairs will be different? Why would principals keep coming to them?

    By Blogger Pegs, at 6/23/2006 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home