math and a half

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Update


Thanks to all of you who prayed and worried with me. I have secured a new position for the coming school year, teaching 7th and 8th grade math. A new adventure!

More: I just finished reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Interesting, for sure. At times, the details were so intense, so real, that I had to check on whether it was fiction or non-fiction. No one could be this messed up, right? Right?! Right. It's fiction.

This Saturday is my family's annual Cousin Picnic. Yowzers. While I was in college, I spent a summer in Pennsylvania, far away, but I just HAD to come home for The Picnic. Mom suggested I bring a friend so that I wouldn't have to drive alone. So Brenda came along. As we parked the car and approached the picnic grove, she picked her jaw up off the grassy plain and said, "All of these people are related to you?? This is bigger than my church picnic!" Yes, there are that many of us. I can't wait to initiate The Boy this weekend. He thinks he is prepared. He is not. No one could be.

I joined a gym yesterday. I am very excited. I haven't been a member of a gym since I quit the corporate job in 2003. Teaching doesn't pay too well, especially at the beginning. My (free) personal training session is tomorrow, 10 am. I already attended a class for abdominal work and ran on the treadmill today. Yipee! With dangerously hot weather in Chicago, the outdoor running was mighty taxing on the body. Now I can run in the air conditioning, or as the months pass, in a heated gym. Although I would prefer to be outside, this option will likely get me more toned, due to the availability of weights, and make me work out for longer periods of time, because classes tend to be 45 to 60 minutes. Hooray!

2 Comments:

  • What a great post! First of all, a big CONGRATULATIONS on securing a job for the upcoming year. Hopefully it will be a long-term thing for you.

    I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Middlesex over at the Ravenous Readers. I liked the book quite well and think that it has a lot of good discussion fodder.

    Good for you about the gym membership. I wish that I could find the money in my budget and the time in my day to do that. Maybe next year.

    By Blogger MamaChristy, at 8/01/2006 2:50 PM  

  • Congrats on the job!!! :)

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 8/02/2006 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home