math and a half

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Scary


No, not Halloween kind of scary. This is REAL scary.

School shootings in Pennsylvania and again in Colorado.

MamaChristy wrote a comment that got me thinkin'. As a teacher of adolescents, I suppose I am in a position to "finger" some kids I feel might be at risk. I have. Well, not in so many words, but I do point it out to our school Social Worker if I notice a pattern of bullying, playfighting, aggressive tendencies. I don't say, "Student X may bring a weapon to school soon if you don't talk with him/her." I wouldn't say anything at all if it was just a student having a bad day. Lord knows I myself have those, too. But when one or two students stand out, angry at the world, yes, I have an obligation to bring them to the attention of someone more skilled in counseling than I.

Thank goodness for school social workers. They provide a tremendous and tremendously needed service. Shouts to Miss Helen (wherever you are) and Miss Sloane.

In what I've heard and read, I don't think anyone is ready to blame teachers for not spotting kids who could potentially come to school with firearms. On the contrary, I think most people have the notion that teachers are doing everything they can for their hormonally challenged and mixed-up kids. In these most recent unfortunate incidents, the teachers were just as scared as the poor students under attack.

I hope I never have to feel what they felt.

2 Comments:

  • I hope you never have to feel it either. I'm glad to know that you feel able and comfortable to to tell someone who can help these kids before it is too late.

    God bless you and the work you do, Pegs. And God bless those social workers. If there is any group more underpaid than teachers, it's social workers. But I don't think it's something you get into for the money, huh?

    By Blogger MamaChristy, at 10/03/2006 6:33 PM  

  • Definitely not.

    By Blogger Pegs, at 10/03/2006 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home