math and a half

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Things I Love About Christmas


I know, I know. I have been remiss in my postings. Sorry.
So, I thought you all should know why I love Christmas. Maybe the holidays have got you down & you need a reminder what the fuss is all about. We need this special time of year to bring out the good in people.
- Many people who aren't too generous the other 11 months of the year give around the holidays: to local food pantries, in lieu of gifts to loved ones who already have enough (I love this idea!), to churches they ignore the rest of the year, and one of my very favorites, sponsoring a family's Christmas meal and gifts anonymously. I used to know a lady who took her son to pass out gloves and hats and scarves to the homeless each Christmas Eve. What a fantastic lesson for her son!
=I love that people go out of their way to be with family at Christmas. Those frazzled travelers at airports and cars loaded up for roadtrips to grandma's are beautiful to me. Go to the trouble to be together. It's worth it.
-I love that people give to coworkers at Christmas. Even if it's just a card, it means that somebody who sees you as a (fill in job title here) most of the year, recognizes you as a whole person, at least for the short time it takes to write and deliver that card.
-I love Christmas cookies and cookie exchanges. So does my honey! He's a cookie monster. I love baking all year, but there's something extra special about baking at the holidays. This year my niece was a big help with the cookies. Baking with children takes a little extra patience, but what fond memories it creates for adult and child. I have fond memories of my mom coming home from her annual cookie exchange with a box full of colorful yummy cookies. She has a friend who is the daughter of Japanese immigrants. She'd make these snowflake cookies I looked forward to every year. I don't have any idea if these were Japanese in nature, but I thought they were because I knew the lady who made them was. I'll have to ask her.
-I love giving the unexpected gift, the gift idea mentioned in passing months ago, logged in a memory bank and found, purchased, wrapped and placed under the tree without a whisper. I especially love the surprised, grateful look when it's opened.
-I love that people still remember the reason for the season and go to church. I wish they'd go in August, too, but Christmas is better than not attending at all. Note to all the Chreasters out there: Your kids would be better behaved in church if you brought them more than twice a year. It's a struggle, I know. Try.
-I love Christmas carols. I know all the words, even second and third verses. I never forget them. I love new carols, too.
-I love squinting at a lighted Christmas tree in a darkened room. Try it. You can achieve the same effect without squinting if you have tears in your eyes. Tears of joy, I hope.
-I love wishing people Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home