math and a half

Monday, March 05, 2007

What Red Tape?



So today I spent many hours in service to the government.

At the risk of sounding downright Seuss-ian...

I changed my name. I changed my name with Social Security. I changed my name with the United States State Department. I changed my name with the Secretary of State. I changed my name with the State Board of Elections. I changed my name with the State Board of Education. I changed my name at the bank. I changed my name with Blogger. I changed my name at the grocery store. I am not finished changing my name.

Even after having spent all day changing my name, I still have some faith in our government. No one made me wait in an extraordinarily long line. Each transaction was pleasant...except the DMV guy who changed my birthday to make me nine days older. It was just a mistake, and quickly corrected. But still, couldn't he have made me YOUNGER?!

All in all, it was surprisingly easy. I guess people change their names every day.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home